Simple, straightforward & fast

As part of our mission to make insurance easy for everyone, we’ve created this
simple guide to Buildings Insurance, giving you jargon-free facts.

What is Buildings Insurance?

Home Insurance is made up of three types of insurance: Buildings, Contents and combined Buildings and Contents Insurance. Where contents insurance protects the things inside your home (check out our Contents Insurance guide here), Buildings Insurance protects the physical home from fire, flood, theft, and damage.

You can buy the two types separately, but if you need both, it’s likely to be more cost-effective to buy a joint policy and if you do have to make a claim, it keeps it simple.

Is Buildings Insurance compulsory?

It is not a legal requirement for homeowners to have Buildings Insurance. However, if you are taking out a mortgage then buildings insurance is often a requirement of the lender as this acts as collateral against your property until you repay all your loan.

Buildings Insurance covers the cost of rebuilding your house, not the market value. The market value will be higher as this includes the value of the land the property is built on and elements like proximity to schools, transport and so on. If you are having an inspection as part of your mortgage, they will advise you how much to insure your property for. Alternatively, you could pay for a surveyor to work out the cost or use an online calculator at the ‘Association of British Insurers’ (ABI) website (

If you are buying a flat or a property that is leasehold, then the Buildings Insurance should be covered by the landlord who owns the freehold. Your conveyancer can check this when you are going through the legalities of purchasing your flat.

Get a quote…

It takes less than a minute to get a quote… what are you waiting for?

Get quote

What should Buildings Insurance cover?

Buildings Insurance covers the cost of rebuilding or repairing the structure of your home if it is damaged, including walls, floors and the roof. It also covers fittings and fixtures, such as bathrooms and kitchens and their fixed appliances like sinks, but not individual items like sofas – these will come under contents insurance.

According to the Money Advice service, you’ll be able to claim if your home is damaged by:

Falling trees
Fire, smoke, explosions
Car and lorry collisions
Water damage from leaking pipes
Oil leaking from your heating system
Natural events such as storms and floods
What’s not covered by Buildings Insurance?

Cover does not normally include damage due to wear and tear, acts of war or terrorism. If your home is unoccupied for more than 30 days during the year, you could also invalidate the policy.

You also cannot claim on damage caused by bad DIY – so if you’re not the most competent with the toolbox, best to get Handy Andy in to help with your plumbing and electricals rather than risk the damage.

There’s also bad news for animal owners as wear and tear such as chewing, tearing, scratching or fouling by animals will not be covered by many providers. Some insurers also don’t provide cover for vermin infestations, so get rid of any unwelcome mice, rats or insects from your home.

Only want Buildings Insurance?

If you only need a quote for Buildings Insurance you have come to the right page. Our policy provides up to £750k worth of cover from the moment you buy the policy.

Get a quote

How can I save money on my Buildings Insurance?

First things first, find a good deal. Your mortgage provider will offer you buildings and contents insurance with the purchase of your home, but you don’t have to go with them; there may be better options for you on the market. If you want to take out both Buildings and Contents Insurance, it can be cheaper to combine them or get them both from the same provider, as they may offer you a discounted rate.

If you want to pay less money it’s also worth paying in annual installments, rather than paying monthly. If you can afford to pay your insurance for the year upfront, it can save you around 10% as spreading your costs can raise your premium and incur additional admin costs.

Finally, you can save money by increasing your excess – if you have a higher excess then you will often be offered a cheaper premium rate. This is because if you do make a claim, the insurer will have to pay out less, so it makes you an attractive prospect. If you have a no claims history, this can also work in your favour and some insurers even offer a no claims discount.

When should I start Buildings Insurance cover?

When you purchase a new property, you are the official owner from the completion date. From that point you are liable for anything that happens to your home. However, it is generally recommended that you should take out your Buildings Insurance from the exchange date as from this point you are committed to buying the property.

Can I get Buildings Insurance for a listed property?

If you own a listed property you should definitely take out buildings insurance as repair work can be expensive – properties that are of significant historical or architectural importance in the UK are protected and you will likely need to undertake special work to maintain its original state.

There are specialist insurance firms who can provide you with insurance for listed properties and usually they offer services to recommend approved surveyors, contractors and builders who are experienced in working with heritage properties. This way you can rest assured that should you need to repair any damage made to your building, it is in safe hands.